Suffolk User Forum is your voice for emotional wellbeing and mental health in East and West of Suffolk.
Suffolk User Forum (SUF), a is the voice for mental health service users in the East and West of Suffolk.
SUF is a user led charity and everyone involved in the charity as has lived experience of mental health as either a service user or family carer.
We receive core funding from the Mental Health Pooled Fund, to be a strategic partner with Suffolk County Council and NHS commissioners to ensure that the voices of people with mental health and wellbeing needs are at the heart of service planning, delivery, improvements and commissioning.
SUF delivers engagement and inpatient mental health advocacy services, working to give mental health service users a powerful unified voice for their experiences of care and support, promoting individuals’ rights, options and choices for care and support.
We work with service providers and commissioners to ensure the voice of lived experience is central to improving emotional wellbeing and mental health services in East and West Suffolk. This achieved through the our engagement and advocacy roles, which alongside supporting people, prioritises the gathering and recording of people’s experiences of services.
By connecting areas of individual feedback together, we draw together key themes and emerging trends in mental health experience. These are reported on quarterly in the SUF publication titled ‘Making our Voice Count’ which is presented to providers, commissioners and to strategic partners, to influence decision making and to promote coproduction, so that providers and commissioners can understand and actively respond to the current lived experience of people with emotional wellbeing and mental health needs.
We have seven key objectives;
- Increasing parity of esteem by raising the profile of mental health and emotional wellbeing.
- Ensure that the voices of service users and family carers are at the heart of service transformation through the development of the new mental health strategy #AveryDiﬀerentConversation and future implementation plans.
- Use knowledge and feedback gained from service user and family carer engagement to contribute to improving existing services and shaping the design of future models
- Provide a service that gives individual service users and family carers an increased understanding of the local mental health system and where they can access help and support.
- Facilitate opportunities for mental health service users and family carers to meaningfully come together; promoting communities, reducing isolation and lowering impact on statutory services.
- Continue to actively contribute to the development of the suicide prevention plan in Suﬀolk drawing from the insights and feedback from service users and family carers.
- To promote statutory and human rights, choices and options for care and treatment through delivering independent mental health advocacy to people in acute mental health care settings and forensic services as an active partner in Total Voice Suffolk Advocacy Services.
Our Mission is to be an inclusive and trusted mental health user led network that values, promotes and strengthens the user voice for positive change, independence, human rights, choice and control.
Our Vision is to become the leading organisation in Suffolk, championing equal and valued partnerships between mental health service users, commissioners and providers; combining mutual strengths and experience to improve services, achieving positive emotional and mental health for all.
Our values are;
- We are caring and compassionate
- We speak out & together we make a difference
- We are open, honest and trustworthy
- We are inclusive and have people at our heart