Thank you NSFT for the very welcoming and compassionate event held on Friday, 8th July 2016 in Ipswich, where it was possible for those present to share open experiences and idea’s for service improvement and the development of a new deliverable suicide prevention strategy within NSFT.
Thank you to all the people who attended and who gave very personal experiences and in particular those who have been very recently bereaved by the suicide of a loved one.
There were some great idea’s put forward and prioirised by everyone involved in the day.
A full report will be produced from this event.
In the meantime key headlines for improvement include the following:
- Emphasis on good and effective communication, to ensure that every contact counts to ensure suicide prevention.
- Need for staff to listen to the views of carers; to understand that they know the person in crisis very well and can communicate the level of risk, as a parent or carer.
- Effective risk assessment at time of crisis, in partnership with patient and carer.
- To make every contact count and never leave patient and carer without a clear written plan for the next 24 hours.
- For people who have been to A & E and then discharged home, to receive a phone call the following day to check in with them and review level of risk of self harm.
- Effective discharge plans from hospital.
- Proposed workshop course within the NSFT Recovery College to support people who experience regular suicidal thoughts to write and design when they are well their own crisis care plan, with steps for managing suicidal thoughts and feelings.
- For partners to explore the possibility of a peer group or crisis cafe, as safe zone for evenings.
- For staff who have experienced the death of a patient/service user by suicide, to receive better support by NSFT. For this to include; debriefing; counselling; pre and post inquest support.
The next NSFT event on suicide prevention will be held in Norfolk.
SUF is also holding 3 events week commencing 18th July 2016, please look at the events section of our website for more details.